In this episode, we’re sitting down to have a chat with a successful podcaster based in Thailand!
Greg Jorgensen is host of the Bangkok Podcast, and is on a journey to cover everything about the lovely city of Bangkok. Since 2011(!!), he covers a TON, from history to culture, specific locations and developments in the city over time, and more. All in 250+ episodes! With ~200 patrons in his Patreon, he has a whole list of loyal listeners supporting him which is amazing to hear.
We talked about:
- Greg’s journey to Bangkok and what compelled him to start the podcast
- How he built a community of 200 paying members on his Patreon
- His personal insights on the Thai podcasting scene
- 03:14 How Greg arrived to Bangkok
- 04:48 The intricacies of Bangkok as an interesting city
- 09:57 Why a podcast? + The Origins of Bangkok Podcast
- 13:20 How has the podcast evolved over time with different cohosts?
- 16:40 How do you source for content about the city of Bangkok?
- 23:32 How Greg grew his Patreon to 200 members
- 26:07 Experimenting with premium content, failed segments and current events
- 29:18 What is Thailand’s national flower?
- 30:55 Greg’s insights on Thai podcasting scene
- 36:18 The costs of living in Thailand as a foreigner
- 39:30 Bangkok Podcast listenership, being friends with listeners and meetups
- 44:19 Building a connection with the host
- 46:41 Greg’s podcast playlist, and dream episode to make
- 52:34 ‘T.I.T’: This is Thailand
- 53:47 Love, Loathe, or Live With: The Asian podcasting scene
- Planet Money
- Revolutions Podcast
- 99% Invisible
- Conan O’Brien Needs A Friend
- Emperors of Rome
- Futility Closet
- Joe Rogan Experience
- Last Podcast on the Left
- Twenty Thousand Hertz
- WTF with Marc Maron
- Hardcore History
- Doug loves movies
- Real Time with Bill Maher
Like the show?
Full name for Bangkok
Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.